Wilson Airport is located to the South of Nairobi and immediately to the South of Langata Road, some 2km southwest of the junction with Mombasa Road. The most notable feature on this side of the airport is the Uhuru Monument, marking the spot where Kenya was granted independence. Founded in 1927 in Dagoretti and relocated to the current location in 1928. It was initially called Nairobi Aerodrome but it was re-named Wilson airport after the lady pioneer (founding person) Ms Florence Wilson.
It is situated latitude 0118’s and longitude 36 48’49”E-5Km from Nairobi city centre and borders Nairobi National Park to the immediate south. It is ICAO Class 2 Category 5 code HKNW. Average temperature 23°c. Operational hours -0330 to 1730UTC.
Wilson Airport is one of the busiest airports in terms of aircraft movement in East and Central Africa. Domestic flights constitute 90% of the total flights from the Airport with international flights accounting for 10%.
The Airport is a fast and convenient gateway from Nairobi into Kenya’s magical interior lands. Destinations served from the Airport include Maasai Mara, Mombasa, Amboseli, Lamu, Kilimanjaro Diani, Lokichogio and Nanyuki.