&Beyond Grumeti gets a new makeover
Not only is the entire lodge being rebuilt, but they have launched a brand new walking itinerary in the Serengeti, culminating at the freshly relaunched (and renamed) &Beyond Grumeti Serengeti River Lodge.
- Complete rebuild, reopening in June 2022
- Ten brand new suites
- One of these is a Family Suite, a two-room unit that can accommodate two adults and two children
- Guest suites more than doubled in size (from 36m²/388ft² to 85m²/915ft² interiors) and featuring large private decks (25m²/269ft²) with circular plunge pools
- Expanded guest areas, offering increased protection from the elements while remaining open to the view
- Circular bar forms a focus for guest gatherings
- Brand new gym with stationary bike, treadmill, rowing machine and weights
- Much loved features like the lodge pool, interactive kitchen and a pilot / guide room will be retained
- Solar power plant will allow the lodge to run on 80% renewable energy
- New systems to increase efficient use of water and energy
- Brand new experiences launching soon
Due to its far-flung location, there are very few lodges in this pristine section of the park, which means that guests can expect the ultimate in exclusivity.
The lodge is perfectly situated on the banks of a tributary of the Grumeti River. Using the natural bow shape of the river, and paying homage to the circular forms of a traditional Masai manyatta, the lodge unfolds to reveal an understated sense of luxury.
Walking into the guest area upon arrival is a real wow moment. Spacious decks are perfect for enjoying sundowners overlooking the river and the camp’s rim-flow swimming pool provides a view of the seasonal hippo pools below. The proximity to water draws a profusion of wildlife throughout the day and night.
Touching the earth lightly and seemingly floating across the landscape, 10 nostalgically elegant, and very spacious, guest suites offer natural light, an enormous bed, bath, an indoor shower (with a spectacular view), and sparkling private plunge pool. A new family suite has been incorporated featuring a small additional bedroom attached.
Adorned with Kitenge fabrics and accentuated with stone walls, the lodge also features the vibrant colours of the fishing communities surrounding Lake Victoria and the grey tones representative of hippo hide that have been beautifully woven into deeply comfortable furnishings and bespoke, hand-made fittings.
For a complete cuisine immersion, expect menus that are uncomplicated, easy to eat, fresh, healthy and wholesome. The traditional boma will still be the hero of night-time dining and artisanal pizzas as well as salt-crusted, whole baked fish, which pays homage to the region’s great lakes, will also be served in this unique space. Of course, the lodge’s well-known breakfast trays, with fresh juices and house baked bread are absolutely not to be missed. An interactive kitchen creates a space for guests to work alongside chefs and plan their menus for the day. Enjoy convivial afternoons and evenings around the central circular bar; a masterpiece of woven fabrics and dramatic glass ball light installations.
For those looking for an active workout, head to the gym. However, if you feel like a pamper session, surrender to an in-room massage.